How to achieve more sustainable production
The Green Code, the Inditex Environmental Code for manufacturers and suppliers, defines the minimum requirements for responsible environmental behaviour that should be complied with by the manufacturers and suppliers in the Inditex Group and their entire supply chain, especially mills using wet processes as part of their activity (dyehouses, tanneries, manufacturers of fake leather, printing mills and washing and finishing mills), in order to comply with the business culture of the Inditex Group.
Our commitment regarding the sustainable and responsible manufacturing is expressed in the following instructions, which suppliers of wet processes must comply with:
- Compliance with the Manufacturing Restricted Substances List (MRSL).
- Proper management of chemical products during the manufacturing process, using the Ready to Manufacture program with The List by Inditex as relevant instrument to guarantee the compliance.
- Responsible environmental performance according to the Green to Wear Standard of environmental sustainability.
The Green to Wear Standard is a tool for action and improvement for wet processes mills. The aim of this standard is to evaluate the environmental performance of these mills, and to help them to reduce their environmental impact by applying real, practical measures to improve their environmental performance and their use of natural resources. To achieve this, professional experts in the textile industry visit the mills to assess at first hand their real situation and to evaluate them using the Green to Wear questionnaire. This questionnaire evaluates a series of indicators intended to assess the level of sustainable and efficient management of the mill in the following areas: raw materials, water, technology and processes, chemical products, waste water, waste and energy.
The indicators in the Green to Wear questionnaire are each assigned a grade. According to the result obtained in the questionnaire, companies are classified according to their environmental performance. Each Green to Wear classification is linked to a series of measures for continuous improvement that must be implemented by the mill, allowing us to advance towards a supply chain that is increasingly respectful of the environment.
In addition, in order to check correct operation of water treatment systems and compliance with the Manufacturing Restricted Substances List (MRSL), the mill's waste water is analysed.
The Green to Wear standard differentiates between the following categories:
- A - Best in class. The "Best in class" mills are capable of an efficient and an effective management of their resources, increasing their productivity and reducing their impact on the environment.
- B - Good performance The "B" classification is granted to mills that achieve a good level of environmental management of their activities, with efficient control of their resources and their environmental impact, but in which there is still room for improvement. These mills must implement an improvement measure each year until they achieve the "A" classification.
- C - Poor performance. These are mills at risk of being considered as "very poor performance" because their use of resources (water, energy, raw materials) is inefficient and/or they do not control their environmental impact in a proper and systematic manner (improper operation of their waste water treatment processes, poor management of solid waste, etc.) These mills must implement an improvement measure every 6 months until they achieve the "B" classification.
- D - Very poor performance. These are mills that present a high environmental risk, carrying out non-sustainable activities with a high environmental impact. In view of the high environmental risk that they represent, these mills have 6 months to improve their situation, or they will no longer be able to manufacture products for the Inditex Group.
Companies classified as A - Best in class or B - Good performance may request the Plus+ category, i.e., A+ or B+. The Plus+ category is granted to companies that carry out Green to Wear best technologies.